Farm Doc Microgreens is announced as winner of The Idea Challenge
Posted by Becca Coleman on December 11th, 2019
Microgreens are grabbing the attention of Eau Claire foodies and health nuts alike. Local grower, chiropractor and nutritionalist, Dr. Dan Czelatdko is the grower of these super foods. His business, named Farm Doc Microgreens, and has just been named the Grand Prize winner of The Idea Challenge, a local business idea contest, beating out 4 other business idea finalists.
Farm Doc Microgreens has been in business for only a short time, but is becoming clear that these nutrient-packed, tiny vegetable sprouts may be the next big thing. Dr Czelatdko plans to use the startup funds for some new harvesting equipment as well as educational marketing to teach people about the powerful benefits of microgreens. . “I felt confident in my idea, but still am feeling shocked and overwhelmed from being chosen!” states Dr. Dan Czelatdko.
Pictured: Jerry Jacobson (President of Northwestern Bank), Dr. Dan Czelatdko (inventor of Farm Doc Microgreens), and Luke Hanson (Executive Director of the Eau Claire Area Economic Development Corporation)
The Idea Challenge is an annual contest where individuals in the Eau Claire Area can submit their idea for a new product, service, or process. Entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs submit their ideas to The Idea Challenge where the Eau Claire Area EDC then walks them through the process of taking an idea and moving it into the marketplace.
Launched by the Eau Claire Area Economic Development Corporation in 2007, The Idea Challenge has been supporting local entrepreneurs and innovative thinkers within our community for over a decade. In 2011, Northwestern Bank became the financial sponsor, giving The Idea Challenge the opportunity to offer cash awards and reimbursements to the contest’s finalists.
The Idea Challenge 2019 finalists are;
- Farm Doc Microgreens, by Dr. Dan Czelatdko – A year-round business, featuring microgreens grown in a controlled indoor environment. The microgreens, the seedlings of plants, are grown using non-GMO organic seeds and harvested and delivered fresh to local retailers, restaurants and markets.
- ToyVentive, by Tomi Stoyanova -ToyVentive’s specialty is combining educational toys, and board books into the perfect gift set! Responsibly designed for toddlers and preschooler, ToyVentive brings versatile, minimalistic, and reducing clutter toys. Winner of $1000 Business Services prize, funded by the Eau Claire Area EDC.
- SMARTcare by Scott Zielski – SMARTcare is improving the home caregiver to patient experience by developing advanced machine learning home care software to create better matches between caregivers and patients. These stronger matches will drive increased engagement between those giving care and receiving care leading to reduced turnover levels, improved home care outcomes and better overall care of our aging population.
- Zaba Sports Cards by Hunter Angell – Professional grade trading cards for K-12 Student Athletes and their families. Share memories of your child’s best sports moments with custom professional grade trading cards. Winner of $1000 Business Services prize, funded by the Eau Claire Area EDC.
- Eau Pour Mobile Bartending by Liz Fagen – Eau Pour provides fun, professional, and insured mobile bartending services, using locally sourced beers and liquors, for events in the Chippewa Valley. Eau Pour helps to make dream weddings and events a reality by providing individualized luxury-feeling services, while being budget friendly. Winner of $1000 Business Services prize, funded by the Eau Claire Area EDC.
The Idea Challenge is open to any individual or company with an idea for a new product or service. For over a decade The Idea Challenge has been assisting entrepreneurs in getting connected to community resources, practicing their pitch, assisting in getting their idea into the market, and –of course- the chance to win $5000 in reimbursable business expenses to advance their idea! All finalists will receive $500 and several marketing and business services incentives to help launch their business idea.
The Eau Claire Area EDC accepts applications and works with individuals for The Idea Challenge year round and is currently accepting applications for 2020
Project Manager, Eau Claire Area EDC